Monday, February 8, 2010

Wow, that week went by fast! Time´s going by way too fast. I´m already at about 10 months in the mission! I wish time would slow down.

Well, we were going to have a baptism yesterday, but the investigator died. Literally. He was the husband of a member and, after years of not wanting to get baptized because of problems with tithing, he decided to get baptized. He was a heavy smoker, 20 a day, and for that he had cancer. He was getting worse every day, and we´re still not sure if he really wanted to get baptized or if it was more of "I´m gonna die, I´d better get baptized just to be sure." He had all the lessons, but not a testimony. We were working with that. Friday morning when we woke up, we had a voice message from the 2nd counselor in the bishopric that Francisco had passed away Thursday night. They had the funeral Friday night, and we passed by Saturday. The whole family is really sad, especially his wife. She is really faithful and strong, and came to church yesterday and gave her testimony. She´s the only member in the family. None of her daughters want to join the church, mainly because they smoke. She was excited that her husband was gonna get baptized, cause she´s felt lonely. We´re hoping that maybe now her daughters' hearts can open a little more.

Several weeks ago we got a notice that we owed the power bills for a ton of money. But the mission office pays the bills, so we talked to them. They got in contact with our department building's administration and solved everything. But someone didn´t hear about that, so they cut the power anyway. So we got home one night and had no power or light--nothing except water. It was an experience showering in the morning by flashlight. But the next day they turned in back on, so now everything´s okay.

About three months ago we found a woman who was really interested and accepted a baptismal date. (I don´t know if I´ve mentioned, but in our mission we´ve been directed to put them with a baptismal date in the first visit.) But afterward we couldn´t find her, so we dropped her. Later Elder Pititto and Elder Moore found her. She had read part of the Book of Mormon, believed that it´s true, and accepted baptism again. She also was going to go to church, but due to some miscommunication she wasn´t able to. They also had trouble finding her and dropped her. Last night we were there close and passed by and she was there! A third time accepted baptism, for March 7, her birthday, and wants to go to church Sunday. The Lord definitely wants her in the church. We´re going to work harder with her this time. Third time´s a charm!

The other day we did a contact in the street with a young woman who doesn´t live here but told us her sister would be interested. We passed by for the referal last night. Her sister´s name is Maria Jose (Mary Joseph?), and she does have interest. What´s more, Constanza, the girl we talked to in the street, her other brother, and the mom were also there. We started out with a prayer and were going to just set up another visit and leave. But then the mother, Ana, started telling us about a problem she´s been having with her bones. She has trouble walking but still has to work, and it´s hard for her. Elder Squire felt really impressed to talk about priesthood blessings. Usually we don´t offer because the whole point of blessings is the faith of the person who asks, but we both felt that it was better to offer, and she accepted. We gave her the blessing, and the Spirit filled the room. Afterward she told us of a dream she had. She was in a big shower, the kind that has glass doors instead of curtains, and was dressed all in white. Then there were some men dressed in white who put their hands on her head. When she left the shower she begain to fly/float off, like a dove. She´s certain it has to do with the blessing we gave her. Then we taught about the Restoration, and right after she told us that she´s a member! She got baptized about 30 years ago, and went inactive 3 years after. She still remembers the missionaries who taught her, and also that there wasn´t a temple here in Chile then. We talked some, and she´s gonna talk to the bishop this week and go to church next Sunday. The thing is, she doesn´t live in our sector, not even the zone. She´ll probably clear that all up with the bishop. We´re excited. I´m sure her son and daughter will get baptized in their ward, and Maria José here. It was a great lesson.

Well, gotta go. Hopefully this week passes a little slower! Hasta luego!

Elder Murdoch

No comments:

Post a Comment